Thursday, January 22, 2009

Oh HAPPY Day!


Our little Mace is POTTY TRAINING!!! YIPPEEEEE!! I can't believe he is old enough!. It is relatively pretty easy for us this time around. My sister Kelli and brother Dru were visiting this past weekend and Kelli was watching the kids on Monday while Dru and I did a little shopping. She just decided when she got Mason dressed that she'd put big boy pants on him and tell him that he needed to tell us when he needed to go potty. Let me back up a minute - Saturday we all went shopping at Ross. When Mason and Evan were looking at the toys, Mason found a Ninja Turtle mask/sword kit that he REALLY wanted. I told him we weren't going to buy it but he could carry it around the store while we shopped. Well, he kept asking if I'd buy it for him and finally I got the novel idea that I COULD and WOULD buy it for him as an incentive to potty train - Smart move, huh? I don't know what most parents think, but this parent thinks incentives are a great thing. So, on Sunday Kelli was changing his diaper and he told her he didn't wear diapers anymore. Come to find out he really did mean it. So on Monday AM when she got him dressed she put 'Big Boy' pants on him and took him to the bathroom every few minutes. (Isn't it grand when someone else does your job for you. WAY TO GO KELLI! Thanks so much!)

We are on day #4 today and he is getting to the point when he knows he needs to go and can do it by himself. He's had a few accidents the last couple of days, but that's normal. Oh, I forgot to say that he LOVES fruit snacks, so, as a daily incentive, every time he goes to the potty he gets a certain number of fruit snack pieces. I keep thinking he's going to get tired of the fruit snacks and just not need them anymore - but we'll see.

Way to go MASON! You're my boy! I love you, Son!

1 comment:

eve said...

wow, that's great! kelli can come to my house and do it for me, too! how old is mason? i think it'll be awhile before miles is ready, but i love to hear methods because he'll be my first time & i need all the advice i can get!