I love my little Mason. He is our VERY strong-willed child and I sometimes get very frustrated with him. If things don't go EXACTLY how he wants them to, he throws a gigantic fit and all HECK breaks loose. He throws an even bigger fit when I won't do what he wants me to and cries and is practically unresponsive to anything I say to him. Case in Point:
When he uses the bathroom, pants and underwear come all the way off. Usually he doesn't put them right back on and I have to coax him to cover up. Today was no different, except that Evan had to be to preschool in 15 minutes. I proceeded to get Mason's pants to help him because he refuses to do it and he kept kicking and not letting me put them on. At this point I know I'm going to have a fight on my hands so I pick him up and put his pants on and immediately take him to the car to buckle in. I realized I had a treat I could bribe him with IF he buckled himself. Well, this didn't cut it. He didn't have his shoes on so I went to find them and when I got back to the car he still wasn't in his car seat - so, no treat for him. Hissy fit starts. I finally get him buckled and try to put the shoes on - No luck and it's another fight. Cries the whole way to preschool. Finally there, I try the shoes again and "I'M NOT WEARING THOSE SHOES!" is what he's now saying. So I give in and say he can go stocking footed. Very long story short - he screams and cries the whole way into preschool and all the people are looking at me like "Can't you control your kid, woman?" and I'm thinking to myself "I really am a good mom and my kid isn't a brat even though he's acting like one." EMBARASSING but true to life. ANYWAY, no wonder I go to bed exhausted every night.
Enough of my saga, but I do have to say we have made up and he's happy now and I'm happy and not frustrated at the moment so everything is all good. Thanks for "listening".
I try very hard to be extra patient and do what I read about in the book I'm reading called "I Don't Have to Make Everything All Better". It talks a lot about validation and how we need to let people 'feel what they are feeling' without invalidating them. I love this book and would recommend it to all! It helps out in ANY situation by teaching how to be a good LISTENER.
Several times when I'm frustrated with Mason this has been our conversation:
Me: Mason, do you sometimes get frustrated?
Mason: Yeah
Me: What makes you frustrated?
Mason: You!
Maybe it's that we both have 'second child syndrome'. I have asked my mom who the most strong-willed of all her children was and she said I was when I was younger. I guess it's my turn to learn a little patience and learn how to compromise with a young child who wants his way. I'm willing. Heavenly Father sent this sweet little boy to our family and I am very thankful to be his mother. I hope I can show him how much I love him and be a good example to him and just let him 'feel what he is feeling' and help him all I can. I love you Mace!
6 comments:
being a mom is the hardest job ever! i love it, but sometimes i really want to crawl into a ball and cry. And it makes it even harder when you have to deal with 3 different personalities and trying to reason with a toddler is so tiring. We all know that mason is no where near a brat and you are a fabulous mom:)
Ahhhh yes....the joys of 'Spirited' children.
You...are amazing. You figured out how to help him 'go' on the toilet all by himself. That is an amazing feat in and of itself.
You are a trooper and your boys are so lucky to have you!
Keep it up!!! It gets better.
We all have aweful days like that! Sometimes I question my mothering skills because it is so hard...so I'm glad that everyone has those days! Stacey
Yeah, I really loved your post too, Kim! There is no doubt in my mind that you're an incredible Mom so your post just made me feel like I wasn't such a bad Mom to a toddler myself, if you had trouble too!
Hey, Kim - no one was thinking "why doesn't that woman control her kid?" They were all thinking "I'm glad it's not my 3yr. old for once!"
Of course, I don't get to say that very often because it usually is my 3 yr. old, and I'm just praying they don't erupt into a twin tantrum, and really get everyone staring.
Post a Comment