Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Mixed feelings

I feel like it's a weird thing, but I really have mixed feelings about moving into our new home. Every time I'm over there doing something, it just doesn't feel like home.

I realize that it probably won't feel like home until all of our belongings are there and we are actually living there, but I feel like I should feel different about it. In a way I don't feel excited.

This new house is just over twice as big as our current house and I feel like it is HUGE. I now realize how comfortable I feel in our itty bitty house. I can hear the front door from the bedrooms, and the walk to the kitchen is very short. The new house is two-story with most of the bedrooms upstairs, and I realize it is going to be a climb every time I have to go up and down the stairs (especially in the last trimester of pregnancy), that I am not used to at all.

I keep telling myself that this is what I've wanted, more space, for such a long time but at the same time I'm already feeling homesick for our current home. I can't think about it too much or I start to bawl.

Our kids and I are feeling the effects of how hectic our lives are at this moment in time.
  • First we closed on our home and couldn't wait to get the keys.
  • Then we got the keys and everything just kind of came down on me.
  • Next it was Christmas.
  • Then Rex and I were in charge of a New Year's Eve party for 60 people.
  • Now it's time to pack EVERYTHING and move it all. All while trying to retain some normalcy.

All along I realized that I have to pack up my whole house and I start feeling overwhelmed. How and where do I even start? Everyone keeps telling me 'don't worry about it. You'll get it all done.' Feelings of overwhelmingness come over me. I am ornery constantly, the kids are acting up (I had a power struggle with Mason at preschool today), and we are all trying to get back on a normal schedule from being off for Christmas.

My thoughts at this moment are: HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO DO IT ALL!? I have so much to think about and do before we move in 10 days and I AM TIRED!!!

AM I NORMAL!!! AND WILL I FEEL BETTER ABOUT EVERYTHING IN A MONTH?

10 comments:

Maughan"sters" said...

Kim,
I am sorry that you are feeling this way. I wish I could hug you and let you cry all you want! I also wish I could help in some way...
I never knew that YOU could have a bad day! You are an inspriation to many. You WILL get through it!

The Small Bevell Bunch said...

Kim, I'm sorry you feel that way but I totally can relate right now.. not about the moving part but just being pregnant and the anticipation of a new member of my family to take care of and how am I going to handle everything! I know that my plate isn't nearly as full as yours but I feel for you! I know you have probably had many offers and I'm not sure what I can help with but if you need anything please put me on your list of people to call! I can take Ty for the day or I'll come help you decorate and make your house feel like home again or whatever you may need. I hope things get easier and soon so you can start enjoying the space and the new chapter this will start for your family!

Sara said...

If it makes you feel any better, I felt the same way when we were moving into our new house:) We moved from our tiny condo and I thought I'd be on cloud 9 moving into our house, but it took a couple of months to feel like home:) If you need my help at all please let me know:)

Detta said...

Kim,
It ALWAYS feels like that in a new home--but much better when you get your own things situated in there. And much better again when you get used to the new neighborhood, friends, etc.
And moving ALWAYS feels like more than is possible if you're pregnant and have kids (accept all the help you can get!!)--but start your own sorting asap and take the chance to get rid of some things you never realized you had--it's liberating (even for me, who tend to be a hoarder)!
I'm helping Eve do their move right now, so I do sympathize, and believe me, she is empathizing even more!
Detta Bendio

liesel said...

I so completely HATE moving pregnant, I've done it twice (once at the beginning and once at the end of a different pregnancy). I swear I will never do it again. It is hard enough to move and pack and all, but when you are pregnant and not in full control of your emotions, strength, or stamina tackling something so monumental is totally overwhelming. Get as much help as you can (both emotionally and physically) and hang in there.

Jen O said...

Wish I were closer to help. It's totally normal to feel overwhelmed, and when I'm pregnant, it seems my emotions are always on the edge of spilling over. I know we won't be in our current house long-term, and I'm sure I'll be sharing your feelings someday when it's time for us to move. Hope things look up for you.

Aranne and Dan said...

I am going to miss you being "just around the corner" but I am so glad you are staying in the ward... and really you are still so close! Just remember how much you need this move and it is going to take a bit to feel like home but I am sure you are going to LOVE it!! Relax, breath and it will all work out... I PROMISE! I love you.

The Hardy's said...

Thanks to all of you, my wonderful friends for all your uplifting comments.

I'm having a better day today...Thanks to my childhood friend, Kaarina, for coming to help me today to 'get over the hill'. I love you Koo.

Heidi said...

Kim, Hang in there--even when everything comes crashing down. And it can! I know! It will all be there when you're ready to start picking it all up again. If I learned anything in the past year, it's that. It's okay to just take things a bit at a time. Even if that bit is just getting up in the morning and doing absolutely NOTHING ELSE the rest of the day. Luckily for me, I'm past that point now. Whew!

Verlynn said...

The last time we moved it was into 360 Lime Circle. I was 9 months pregnant with Logan (#6 kid). We had moved 18 times in the years previous to that and I'd about had it! But, as with all moves there will be good, bad and best. Bet yours will be the good and best one! Sorry we're not there to help. But we still love you all.