If you don't know Evan well, you have to understand one thing about him. When he thinks of something that he wants to do or learn, he DOES NOT forget about it and he doesn't let YOU forget about it. In fact he'll ask and keep asking about it until you do something about it. This kid is no fan of being told 'sometime'.
Case in point: Yesterday hedecided that he was ready to start playing the piano. All day long he kept asking when we could go to the music store to buy him a piano book. Finally I relented (we were running errands in that area of town anyway) and we went yesterday afternoon and bought him a starter book. He carried that thing the whole rest of the afternoon and read the words to the songs and was just really excited to be 'starting piano lessons'.
Now his teacher has to admit that she's not quite as excited about it as he is. That teacher is me and I haven't taught piano lessons before, but I am going to do my best with what I know. I don't know where to start or what to do but we're going to be learning our respective roles together.
When we got home he wanted me to sit down right then and there and teach him what was in that book. He got a little frustrated when I showed him that we have to start at the beginning and learn how to sit at the piano, how to hold your hands and fingers, learn what the notes are, etc. He wanted to just be able to sit down and play a song.
I hope if he's really serious about this, that his excitement stays on the up and up. Now I just need to get the excitement bug to bite me.
7 years ago
3 comments:
Good luck with the piano lessons! I hope his excitement sticks around as well. We're at the point with Zach that when you say "it's time to practice the piano" you're sure to get a scowl or something like that. Oh, it's fun all right!
Ditto Heidi's good luck wishes! Hang in there because when they become teens, practicing isn't such a grind anymore. J asked to be able to take piano lessons when she came home from school for the summer. :)
Speaking of J, her Facebook status: "had a great time on her blind date". She wanted me to thank you for setting it up. She had a lot of fun.
I want Auri to start piano lessons but we don't even have a piano to practice on. HA!! I know you will do great! Hang in there!
Post a Comment